I tweeted yesterday that I realized why half marathons were so popular, because training for a marathon is no joke!
And many of my fellow twitter friends agreed with me that a half marathon was a cake walk compared to a full. Some also reminded me that it is all about your perspective because they are training for a half and feel it is a lot of work. And I can see that.
But coming from the girl who ran 49 miles in December of 2010, and 88 miles in both Jan and Feb 2011, I can say this: I have never been this exhausted from half marathon training. I ran my first half at the end of February, and I ran another in March just 3 weeks later. I was a bit tired but nothing like this. I finished August with 145 miles!!! That is an all time high for me :)
It is exhausting. Not only does running task you physically but it goes after you mentally as well. For me it is a challenge each day to figure out which fuels work best, how much to hydrate, how to rest, how to stretch, how I will fit it all into my already crammed schedule. Some way, some how, each week I get it done.
I am glad I tweeted about it yesterday because it helped me realize a few things:
1. I am not alone. So many runners out there are training for fall marathons and they are going through the same emotions.
2. It will be worth it. I know I want this. I know when I cross that finish line and hold that 26.2 medal that it will be the culmination of an entire 22 weeks of hard work.
3. I will have accomplished what very few people actually do.
4. I have kicked obesity in the ass, laid it to rest, and not looked back. I can kick 26.2 as well.
5. I will not be stopped. Ever.
Thank you to everyone for your continued support along this journey!!!